The federal CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security) Act has given BRTC a portion of the CARES Act Emergency Relief Fund totaling $1,643,629. The U.S. Government mandates that at least 50% of the money, $821,815, is given to students for emergency financial aid grants.
What CARES Act Money Will Pay For
CARES Act money is intended to help with students with expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus, including eligible expenses under a student’s cost of attendance, such as
- course materials,
- health care, and
- child care.
BRTC was required to sign a certification agreement form with the U.S. Department of Education acknowledging the above statements.
How Students Were Contacted
BRTC notified students via their BRTC student email that they potentially met qualifying criteria for the funds based on enrollment term for Spring and Summer 2020. Those students were directed to complete an online form to request funds and indicate a COVID-19-related circumstance to receive the grant. Information for how to request funds for additional terms will be issued at later date.
- Spring-700 students notified on May 5th
- Summer -275 students notified on July 16th
- Fall- 883 students notified on September 29th
- Follow-up text and email sent on November 3rd
On October 20th, BRTC notified 113 by letter and email who have not completed a FAFSA application to complete it to be eligible for CARES ACT. Along with 456 students, who were contacted by email and text that have not completed the CARES ACT form by the original October 14th deadline. These students will have until November 14th to complete the form to be eligible for funds.
An email notification will be sent to students to request funds for the Fall term in early October. Awards will be mailed mid-October.
Who Has Received the Money *Updated 11/6
Awarded students should see CARES Emergency Grant Relief Funds credited on their student account. The CARES Act funds have now been disbursed to 1006 eligible students who requested funds via the request form, which was sent to their student email. At this time, $590,344 has been disbursed to BRTC students.
Checks will be mailed within 7-10 business days of crediting to student’s accounts. Award amounts were credited in the following amounts:
- Full-time (12+ credit hours) — $510
- Part-time (under 12 credit hours)– $255
- Full-time (12+ credit hours)–$1100
- Part-time ( under 12 credit hours)–$550
- Full-time (12+ credit hours)– $612
- Part-time ( under 12 credit hours)– $306
General CARES Act Information – Updates
Funds will be disbursed based on qualifying criteria that equates with the same general eligibility requirements needed when submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Requirements to Receive CARES Act Funding
CARES relief funds are not financial aid and acceptance of other federal, state, or institutional funds is not required in order to receive CARES relief funds. However, to receive the funds, you must meet all Federal Title IV Student Financial Aid criteria, as determined through the FAFSA:
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree or certificate program.
- Not be enrolled in elementary or secondary school.
- For currently enrolled students, be making satisfactory academic progress.
- Not owe an overpayment on Title IV grants or loans.
- Not be in default on a Title IV loan.
- Be a U.S. citizen or national, permanent resident, or other eligible noncitizen.
- Have returned fraudulently obtained Title IV funds if convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to charges.
- Not have fraudulently received Title IV loans in excess of annual or aggregate limits.
- Have repaid Title IV loan amounts in excess of annual or aggregate limits if obtained inadvertently.
- Have Selective Service registration verified.
- Have Social Security number verified.
- Not have a federal or state conviction for drug possession or sale, with certain time limitations.
- Must have completed a FAFSA application for the applicable term. i.e. Summer-2019-2020 FAFSA; Fall-2020-2021 FAFSA*