Black River Technical College is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Career Coach. The Career Coach position will be based at Corning Schools and Hoxie High Schools. This is a full-time, 10-month, grant funded position. This person will work under the supervision of the BRTC Career Coach Supervisor. The Career Coach will assume the lead role in serving those students who are most in need of career planning. Travel within the region will be required, in addition to occasional evening work
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Providing early outreach to low-income students with information about the importance of postsecondary education, as well as accurate information on how to prepare, apply, and pay for it.
- Providing interest inventories and skills assessments to assist individuals in making informed career decisions.
- Facilitating the development of individual career plans and portfolios.
- Providing information on careers, career pathways, and educational requirements. Providing opportunities for job shadowing, mentoring, internships, visits to business and industry, and other career awareness activities.
- Providing or connecting low-income students and adults to support services that will ease the transition to postsecondary education.
- Connecting educationally disadvantaged students to “bridge programs” that teach basic academic skills in the context of training for advancement to better jobs and postsecondary education.
- Connecting students to academic enrichment activities such as study groups, tutoring, and workshops on study skills.
- Providing a continuum of career guidance to ease the transition from middle school to high school to postsecondary education or training and ultimately to the workplace.
- Assisting BRTC Admissions staff with events and processes that help transition students from high school to college.
- Other duties may be assigned, which relate to the mission and goals of the Arkansas Works program.
- Accurately and consistently collecting data for the purposes of the Arkansas Works Career Coach program and effectively reporting data in a timely manner for tracking and documenting the successes of the program.
- Plan, attend, and direct required Career Coaching events such as College Application Campaign, College Application Workshop, FAFSA Night, and College Fairs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
This person should also have extensive knowledge of college/university programs of study, the requirements for academic placement and remediation policies, the options for financing the student’s education, and of the overall opportunities for degree attainment or skills enhancements. The individual selected for this position will have an understanding of current and projected job trends in the region and state, and will be able to access and direct prospective students to information concerning paths of study leading to specific career clusters. This person must also have strong technology and communication skills, with high competency in oral and written communication. This individual must be able to take personal initiative to complete the requirements of this position with minimal direct supervision, and should have the ability to approach problems creatively and proactively.
- Bachelor’s degree. Experience in higher education or a public school environment is preferred.
- Hold a Career Services Provider Certification or eligible to obtain within one year of hiring.
- Excellent computer skills with a strong background in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to communicate effectively orally, in writing and in public presentation settings.
- Background check is required.
To be considered in the first round of interviews, applications should be submitted by July 13, 2021. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To be considered for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, State application, copies of transcripts, and three references to:
BLACK RIVER TECHNICAL COLLEGE
Julie Edington, Executive Director of Human Resources
P.O. Box 468
Pocahontas, AR 72455
Telephone (870) 248-4000, Ext. 4032
BRTC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
BRTC is a Tobacco Free Campus