The Curtis Humes Memorial Scholarship was created in memory of Curtis Humes by his parents, James and Jennifer. He was a graduate of Sloan Hendrix High School. He began attending BRTC in Fall 2016. During his tenure at BRTC, he completed a welding certificate, an Auto CAD Level 1 Certificate, a Microcomputer Repair Technician of Proficiency Certificate, and an Associate of Applied Science in Computer Information Technology. While enrolled at BRTC, Curtis worked in the computer lab, was a member of the Student Activities Board, and BRTC’s Student Government Association. he was the first person to don the Stryker mascot costume.
“As an SGA senator, Curtis was dedicated to making sure everything SGA did improved student life at BRTC,” said Ashley Hankins, BRTC Instructional Designer and SGA Advisor. “He was very involved in the creation of the mascot and was excited to see what started as an idea, come to life. We could always count on Curtis to be there and faithfully represent the student body of BRTC.”
Curtis loved life and lived it to the fullest. He enjoyed spending time with his friends, playing video games, working at NAPA, and hanging out at the Moose Lodge. Before his death, he was appointed a Moose Lodge trustee.
- $200 fall
- Be enrolled in a computer class during the fall semester
- Must not be eligible for a Pell Grant
- Must have a tuition and/or fee balance at BRTC
- Full or part-time BRTC student
- Students must have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA
- Award is for tuition, fees, and/or textbooks only
- Complete the BRTC Scholarship Online Application