Scotty Ray Burgess was a longtime Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) in Randolph and surrounding counties before working in industrial construction as an industrial site safety professional. As an industrial safety professional, Scotty analyzed industrial working environments for potential hazards in order to improve the safety of the facility to workers. He spent 20 years traveling across the United States improving the working environment of industrial employees.
Scotty was married to LeAnne Burgess for 25 years. They lived in Pocahontas with their children Jessica, Savanna, and Tyler. After a 30-year battle with diabetes, 7 of them enduring kidney failure, Scotty received a kidney transplant in 2017. In December 2020, Scotty lost his battle with COVID-19.
In his memory, Scotty’s family offers this scholarship to help support students going into the EMT and paramedic fields.
- $250 for the Fall and Spring semesters
- Recipient must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Randolph County residents or high school graduats receive 1st priority, other student receive 2nd priority
- Complete minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.
- Acceptance for admissions at BRTC.
- Complete the FAFSA application by March 1st.
- Deadline March 1st.