We want to thank our BRTC community for supporting BRTC faculty, staff, and students during our the May 2017 flood on the Pocahontas campus. While the campus flooded in a similar way in 2011, the flood is an exceptionally rare event.
About the Flood
On May 1, 2017, Northeast Arkansas and Southeast Missouri as well as much of the mid-south, experienced significant rainfall which resulted in flooding as far north as St. Louis. Pocahontas, the location of BRTC’s main campus, is situated on the Black River which runs from Southeast Missouri and through the town of Pocahontas. East Pocahontas is located in the Delta while west Pocahontas is located in the Ozark foothills. While a levee protects much of the farmland along the Black River up to Pocahontas, the river waters reached levels beyond record, thus overflowing the levee and flooding the farmland around the college and some of BRTC’s buildings.
Fortunately, damage is similar to what occurred in the 2011 flood–which also surpassed record at the time–and is currently being addressed.
First, our hearts go out to those who lost their homes and businesses during the flooding in Northeast Arkansas and Southeast Missouri. BRTC, however, feels very fortunate to have only suffered damage similar to that in 2011. We know many were not as lucky was we!
Second, we have tried to keep you abreast of the most recent information on our BRTC Facebook page. We will continue to update you as frequently as we can. If you have any questions, please contact us at (870) 248-4000 for Pocahontas, (870) 239-0969 for Paragould, or email us at email@example.com and we will respond as quickly as possible.
Summer and Fall Classes 2017
We are delighted to announce that we are enrolling students in summer and fall classes. Classes will not be canceled for Summer 1, 2, or Fall due to flood issues. In some cases, locations will be modified to provide students with the most uninterrupted, quality education possible.
- Grades for Spring 2017 will be finalized and available on May 18 on CampusConnect
- Registration for summer and fall is happening now
- BRTC campuses are on their summer hours: M-W 7-5; Th 7-4
- All library books are due Thursday, May 18 or a $0.10 per day fine will be imposed
- Book Buyback is at the Pocahontas campus on Tuesday, May 16 from 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Book rentals can be returned until May 16 at 6 p.m.
- Caps & gowns can be picked up at the Pocahontas campus. The times will be as follows:
- Monday, May 15 – 8:00 to 5:00
- Tuesday, May 16th – 8:00 – 6:00
- Wednesday, May 17 – 7:00 – 5:00
- Thursday, May 18 – 7:00 – 4:00
- Monday, May 22 – 7:00 – 5:00
- Tuesday, May 23 – 7:00 – 6:00
- Kids’ College on the Pocahontas campus has been canceled.
- BRTC commencement will be Tuesday, May 23 at 7 at Sutton Free Will Baptist Church in Pocahontas (5421 US-62)
- Nursing graduation and pinning will be Monday, May 22 at 6 p.m. at the First Baptist Church of Pocahontas