- Know your U.S Hardiness Zone. Visit https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/ for more information.
- Know the perfect planting dates by consulting the Farmers’ Almanac. https://www.farmersalmanac.com/
- Don’t overwater your plants. While the roots of a plant take up water, they also need air to breathe.
- Keep your garden clean. Get rid of weeds.
- Watch out for pests. Read “Summer Garden Pests in Arkansas” https://www.uaex.uada.edu/yard-garden/home-landscape/summer-landscaping/pest-control/bugs.aspx
- Try composting as a natural way to recycle nutrients. Composting basics can be found at https://www.epa.gov/recycle/composting-home.
By Shauna Throesch, Agriculture Instructor