Tips for Preparing Your Child a Healthy Lunch by Christian Derbes
- Get your kids involved! Let them help you with the grocery shopping. Asking for their help promotes responsibility and teaches them healthy shopping habits.
- Make sure the packages are easy to open. Lunchtime at school is limited to 20 to 30 minutes, so be sure your child can open packages independently.
- Make food fun! Use cookie cutters to cut bread, fruits, and vegetables into fun shapes.
- Limit processed snacks. Processed snacks are often high in sodium and sugar but low in vitamins and minerals that growing kids need.
- Choose flavored water instead of soda. Let kids pick their own water bottle, and add fruit for flavoring. Avoid packing drinks that offer no nutritional value like soda.
Visit https://blackrivertech.org/academics/allied-health/dietetics for information about BRTC’s Nutrition and Dietetics Program.